Alcoholism is one of the most difficult addictions to detect due to the “socially acceptable” view of drinking, and drinking to excess, being the norm in many regions. More often than not, alcoholic drinking eventually leads to issues in the workplace, with family members at home, and with friends in social settings. Problems due to alcoholism may become apparent to friends and family before the individual is aware of them. Often, alcoholics will go to great lengths to hide the extent of their drinking which can lead to alcoholism going undetected for years.
Common symptoms of alcoholism can include:
- Drinking more alcohol than planned
- Inability to cut back or stop drinking
- Spending an excessive amount of time drinking, being sick, or hungover
- Experiencing cravings for alcohol
- Problems with work, school, or family due to alcohol
- Continued drinking regardless of the problems for you or your relationships (even after an ultimatum)
- Stopping or limiting other activities that were important to you in order to continue drinking
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or having a disregard for personal safety
- Having memory blackouts due to drinking (periods of time you cannot recall)
- Progressively increasing alcohol consumption to achieve the desired effect
- Having withdrawal symptoms from alcohol use including: trouble sleeping, shakiness, restlessness, nausea, sweating, racing heart, seizures, or having hallucinations
Not all alcoholics become 24/7 or ‘daily drinkers’, but one of the common features of alcoholism is the inability to stop or change your drinking behaviours on your own or for extended periods of time.
At the Lighthouse Bali our caring and professional team is dedicated to helping you overcome your alcoholism, changing your life and becoming the best version of yourself. Reaching out for help is the first step on an incredible journey to recovery.
Please note that our alcohol rehab programs include a medical detox to help you to pass this early stage of your recovery in maximum comfort possible.